Contrary to popular belief, it’s not always noticeable right away when your home is experiencing a water leak. If not caught, it can continue for months and even years. A water leak can happen anywhere and at any time so it’s important to know what to look for in order to prevent further damage later down the road. Accurate water leak detection services are the key to a safer home. At Marc Francis Plumbing we put over 25 years of experience to work for you. As the leading plumbing company in the Tri-Cities, we offer accurate and reliable leak detection and repair services, getting your home back in working order as quickly as possible!
Take care of nagging water leaks once and for all with a whole home repiping project, the easiest way to upgrade your entire plumbing system!
Common Signs of Water Leaks
Some symptoms of a water leak are more obvious than others but nevertheless, it’s helpful to know ahead of time what a water leak looks like. Some warning signs homeowners should be on the lookout for include:
- Unusually High Water Bill - If you're a homeowner, then you’re probably familiar with the average amount of water you use in a month thanks to your water bill. If you notice a sudden spike but your usage hasn’t changed, you’re most likely dealing with a leak.
- Low Water Pressure - When a leak is present, this can affect the water pressure that you normally get from your sink and shower. If you notice your water pressure is significantly lower than normal, a leak may be present.
- Dripping Sound - A more obvious symptom of a leak, is the sound of dripping water. This can be loud enough to draw attention or quiet enough to go unnoticed for a long period of time.
- Funky Smells - Water that has been leaking for a while unnoticed can lead to the onset of mildew. Mildew can have a strong, mildewy smell, which is often a precursor to a more dangerous mold growth issue.
While not all plumbing leaks can be seen by the naked eye, paying attention to the performance of your plumbing is a good way to avoid an emergency. Anytime your plumbing is not working as it should, calling a plumber out is never a bad idea.
What Causes Water Leaks & How Can They Affect Your Home
There are many different reasons your pipes begin to leak in your home, from corrosion all the way to clogged drains. No matter what the culprit, a nasty water leak is a sure way to ruin anyone’s day. In many cases, the water leaks we deal with are caused by:
- Clogged pipes
- Corrosion from years of use
- Excess water pressure
- Foundation movement
Even the smallest things, like drilling a hole to hang a photo and nicking a pipe, can cause hidden water leaks. By being aware of your surroundings and paying attention to your plumbing system, you can easily avoid large-scale repair concerns.
Already dealing with a plumbing emergency like a burst pipe? Our staff is available for 24-hour emergency services, helping you when you need it most.
How Is Leak Detection Done?
Most major water lines are invisible to homeowners, as they live behind walls and underground. This means that a home can be experiencing a leak that goes undetected for years or until it’s too late, and you’re dealing with a plumbing emergency. Thanks to modern technology, it’s now easier than ever before for plumbing professionals to detect leaks.
Using high-quality technology such as electronic amplification equipment and electromagnetic pipeline locators, our experts here at Marc Francis Plumbing, can quickly locate a water leak and get to the root of the problem.
Whether it’s caused by freezing temperatures or some haphazard construction work, you can count on our plumbing pros to accurately locate your leaking pipe, providing you with a long-lasting solution that limits the risk of damage in your home.