If you’re a homeowner, you’ve most likely experienced a water main issue at some point or know someone who has. The water main is the main pipe that brings water into your home. To make matters worse, the water main is often buried under your sidewalk or lawn, making it a challenge to diagnose and repair. So it’s no surprise that there is great stress when your water main is damaged. At Marc Francis Plumbing, we are your reliable Johnson City, TN, plumbing pros. We have 8 years of experience and can make quick work of your water main issues, restoring the flow of water to your home and protecting you from the dangers of water damage in the process.
A damaged water main is a plumbing emergency! Our staff is always on call and ready to help you 24/7.
How a Water Main Problem Can Affect Your Home
Water main issues come in many types and it’s important to know what you’re dealing with in order to proceed with the right treatment. If you experience any of the following issues with your water main, it may be time to ask about our replacement services.
- Holes/Cracks: If your water main has holes or cracks, this is a sign of corrosion and usually happens when the pipes are old or have been exposed to hard water for too long.
- Leaking Water Valve: Another common issue is a leaky water valve. Certain types are more prone to leaking than others and should be handled by a professional plumber who will know if the valve needs to be replaced.
- Burst Pipe: Our water mains are under a lot of pressure constantly and this can result in a burst pipe. When a burst pipe occurs, your home is susceptible to contaminated water and it is advised to stop drinking the water and call a plumber right away.
We offer expert water main repairs and offer same day service appointments, reducing the risk for water damage and restoring your flow of water quickly.
Common Causes for Water Main Damage
There are various reasons as to why a water main could become damaged. Some of the most common causes of water main damage include:
- Temperature - Our pipes are put under constant stress but this especially true during extreme weather conditions. When pipes are exposed to freezing conditions, they are at risk for high levels of stress which can cause a pipe to burst or crack.
- Corrosion - The older our pipe systems get, the more common it is to deal with corrosion. When our pipes corrode due to old age or extreme conditions, cracks become present which can lead to major water damage.
- Human Interference - In some cases, water main damage is done accidentally by construction workers or homeowners unaware of where their water line is located. When this happens, it’s important to call a trained expert in order to prevent further damage.
- Pipe Material - Older pipers were mostly made with iron which is not the best material to interact with exposure to water. Pipes created before the 1980s are more susceptible to cracks and leaks in the water line.
It’s always important to be aware of where your water main is. Not only will this limit the risk of construction damage, but also it’s a good idea to never plant landscaping near it, as it can result in invasive tree roots and further issues in the future.
Want to do more to protect your pipes? Ask our staff how regular drain cleaning can extend the life of your pipes and avoid general deterioration.
Signs of Issues With Your Water Main in Johnson City, TN
When water main damage occurs, it is not always noticeable right away. For example, if a construction worker causes a break, it’s easier to spot versus when a crack or leak from corrosion occurs. The important thing is to be aware of the symptoms, so you can get early repairs before they escalate into emergencies. Some of the most common signs of water main issues include:
- Water In Your Yard
- Wet Spots
- Unusually High Water Bill
- Low Water Pressure
- Foundation Cracks
If you’re experiencing any issues with your home’s water main, it’s advised to seek professional help from a plumbing specialist. At Marc Francis Plumbing we are your reliable plumbing pros proudly serving the Tri-Cities. We offer fast and reliable water main repair services, and can even replace your pipe if the damage is too severe. Our goal is to provide you with a long-lasting solution that keeps your family comfortable and your home protected.